Line boring

Post Technical Questions or Technical writeups pertaining to Ariel Motorcycles
Nornet

Line boring

Post by Nornet » Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:50 pm

I have new timing side bushes for my 1957 Ariel Square Four. The crankshafts are in good shape, are STD size and do not require a regrind. The new main bushings are about .100" undersize and require boring to size. I am looking for a shop in the southern Ontario (Canada) region that perform line boring on a motorcycle.

Any comments or suggestions from those of you that have preformed this or had this work done would be appreciated.

Regards Paul

Old & slow

Re: Line boring

Post by Old & slow » Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:53 pm

Paul, I had my '55 bushings line bored at Daniel's Machine in Augusta, Maine. Steve, the owner, is very familiar with the square engine and really knows what he is doing. His phone number is 207-622-7826. I live in Texas but I simply boxed the cases up and shipped them off to Maine. By the way, my engine runs great!

phil.auldridge

Re: Line boring

Post by phil.auldridge » Mon Nov 11, 2019 4:11 pm

Yes, I have used Steve as well for extensive maching on my Mk II. Based on feedback from others, and my own exhaustive research, I have come to believe that Steve may be the only guy left in the US who has both the equipment, fixtures, and skill to properly complete this process.

My first machine shop attempt, a highly regarded automotive machine shop here in Texas, ruined the first pair of bushings in his attempt.. I'm not sure what sort of tool he used, but it wound up literally peeling the babbit lining out of the bushing. AND, he did not have any way to properly align the procedure with the other side of the crankcase.

In the end, neither Steve nor Paul were happy with the quality of the second pair of bushings I sourced from Draganfly, so Steve machined a custom set, which were then sent off to be lined with bearing material. Overkill? perhaps, but I'm extremely confident in the end result:
The attachment broken rod low rez.JPG is no longer available
A caveat, though. Steve is decidedly old-school in every way.. no email address, no fax, and rarely answers his phone during the day. My cases sat in his shop for well over a year before he got the job done. I was beginning to think I would never see my Ariel run again, but in the end, I don't believe anyone else could have done the job with such precision. I would recommend using Paul Ackerman, a recognized expert on these engines, who lives in the same area of Maine, as your intermediary with Steve. Paul works closely with him, and will visit his shop if need be to get the job done.

My own engine had major issues after suffering a broken rod, and there were a number of machining tasks required to make it whole, all of which were accomplished by Steve under Paul's guidance.
The attachment broken rod low rez.JPG is no longer available
You can find Paul Ackerman's contact via his ad for Ariel components in the club newsletter, or PM me for details.
Phil A. Austin, TX '53 MK II
Nov.13-14,2017 T100C ,Auldridge SQ4 etc 032.JPG
Phil Auldridge - Austin, Texas
1953 Ariel Square 4
1997 Honda Valkyrie
1972 Norton Combat Commando
1978 BMW R100/7
1980 Honda CBX
2014 Indian Chief
1975 Moto Guzzi 850T